How to get to Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
We will be happy to coordinate your travel arrangements from anywhere in the world to Virgin Gorda through our travel agency partners.
If you have a travel specialist coordinating it for you, know that American, Continental, Delta, Jet Blue, United, US Airways, Spirit Airlines, Air Canada, and British Airways have scheduled non-stop service from all major US gateways to San Juan (SJU), Puerto Rico and/or to St. Thomas (STT), US Virgin Islands. These two international airports are the closets ones to the British Virgin Islands.
From St. Thomas or San Juan you have the option of taking:
- A 20 to 40 minutes small commercial or charter flight directly to Virgin Gorda, or
- A 35 minute flight to the neighboring Island of Tortola (EIS), capital of the British Virgin Islands, and take the 15-minute ferry ride or a private water transfer to Virgin Gorda.
- Note: Most travel sites like Expedia or Travelocity do not show an airport for Virgin Gorda because it only serves small carriers.
Details of commercial and charter companies’ flying to Virgin Gorda through San Juan, St.Thomas or Tortola and/or water transfers follow:
From St.Thomas, USVI (STT) to Virgin Gorda (VIJ)
Guests arriving into the St. Thomas, USVI airport (STT) can take a short 20 minute flight to Virgin Gorda Airport (VIJ) through commercial airlines, charter flights or an additional option of taking a private water taxi.
From San Juan or St. Thomas to Tortola (EIS), BVI
Several commercial airlines fly from San Juan (SJU) and St. Thomas (STT) to Tortola (EIS) airport. This is also the airport to land when arriving by private jet. Right on the airport grounds is the dock where you can take either the North Sound Ferry or private water taxi that in 20 minutes can take you to Virgin Gorda. For water crossing form Tortola to Virgin Gorda please refer to the next section titled Water Transfers from Tortola to Virgin Gorda.
Water Transfers from Tortola to Virgin Gorda
There are two main ferry services from Tortola to Virgin Gorda: North Sound Express that departs from the airport grounds and Speedys that departs from Road Town which is 15 minute taxi ride from the airport. For travelers convenience it’s advisable that if traveling by ferry to use the North Sound Ferry. We will gladly coordinate these transfers for you and upon arrival in Virgin Gorda our Resident Concierge will meet your group, assist with the luggage and transfer them to your villa.
North Sound Express: Tel: (284) 495-2138 Fax: (284) 495-1639
- Departs rom Trellis Bay at Beef Island, Tortola’s airport grounds, to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda
- Typical daily schedule: 8:00AM, 11:00AM, 1:45PM, 4:15PM, 6:00PM, and 10:00PM. This is subject to change during the year and service is reduced during low season (Aug-Oct). Please verify schedules.
- Cost: $22 per adult, $12 per children (6-11), and $6 per infant
- Reservations are recommended
- Note: 6:00PM ferry may be charged at 4-person rate or may be cancelled if only 1-2 passengers show
Speedy’s Ferries: bviferries.com Tel: (284) 495-5235 Fax: (284) 495-5755
- Departs from Road Town, Tortola to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda
- Typical daily schedule: 6:30AM,12:00 noon, 10:30PM – This is subject to change during the year. Please verify schedules.
- Cost: $20 per adult and $15 for children (5-11)
PRIVATE WATER TRANSFERS
FROM TORTOLA TO VIRGIN GORDA
Private water taxis are available to go from Trellis Bay at Beef Island (Tortola’s airport grounds) to Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda. We will gladly coordinate these transfers for you.